Sunday, April 9, 2017

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay latest Mock draft selections for Giants

Mel Kiper Jr

Jarrad Davis - ILB - Florida
6'2 238 lbs



Reason why its a good pick:

Davis is a very explosive athlete, and would upgrade the linebacker group the moment his name is called. One of his strenghts is making plays in the backfield. Besides Keenan Robinson last year, its been a long time since the Giants had a linebacker who consistently makes plays in the backfield. I watched his pro day, and he looked extremely athletic and not stiff at all. He definetely looks the part as well. Players from UofF seem to play with swagger and an aura of confindence, and he fits that mold.

Reasons why its a bad pick:

I personally like Davis. The only downside I see to this pick is BJ Goodson. We didnt re-sign Kelvin Sheppard, who was serviceable but nothing to write home about. That signaled to me that Goodson is ready to take over. Goodson didnt play much last year, but the coaches are with him everyday and know more about his development than fans do. So is it really worth using a 1st round pick on a position that we might have a starter already in house?



Todd McShay

Malik McDowell - DT - Michigan State



Reasons why its a good pick:

I seen McDowell play a handful of times during his Michigan St career. One game that stands out to me, was his game against Notre Dame last year. Me being a Notre Dame fan, I got to witness the terror he can create firsthand. He was absolutely dominant in that game, and made it hard for Notre Dame to get anything going offensively. With the unknown of Jonathan Hankins return, we are in need for a DT. I am not convinced that Bromley is the answer, although I think the rest of the line can mask his deficiencies.

Reasons why its a bad pick:

Like I stated earlier, I watched a handful of his games, and he was dominant against Notre Dame. But the other games I've seen of him he didnt pop off screen to me. The likelihood of McDowell being selected may hinge on if Hankins return or not. With the three headed monster ( Vernon, Harrison, and Pierre-Paul) we are currently deploying on the front, is DT really that pressing of a need to commit a 1st round selection on? Those three will be able to make up for whoever starts at DT next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment